Thursday 30 January 2014

Is Social Media Publicity?

I attended an arts industry event late last year and was amazed to meet a publicist who didn't see social media as part of their job. So, I wondered, should it be?

When I first started my career in arts management, the typical publicity activities I undertook were writing media releases, sending them to journalists and following up with phone calls to gauge interest. And, in its most basic form, this is still what the traditional publicist is doing today. Albeit on a much bigger scale with bigger players and digital content rather than hard copy.

Interestingly, publicity has often been split off from other marketing functions in arts organisations. This, in the past, has created silos where some publicists have become very protective about their patch. So, I can almost understand why a publicist wouldn't see social media as part of their role.

Personally, I see publicity as an integral element of marketing and have never really understood why it needs to be separate from the other marketing functions.

Now, the rise of social media is increasingly blurring those lines between marketing and publicity and demonstrating that there is a strong interdependence between the two.

Just this week it was reported that London's West End audiences are up due to a number of successful social media campaigns, despite average press reviews of the shows. The campaigns were designed to build positive word of mouth and encourage ticket purchases. Is that publicity or is that marketing? I think it's both. And I would love to think that publicists are embracing the opportunities that come with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment