Wednesday 6 March 2013

The Art of Short-listing Job Applications


This week, I've been thinking about how you go about short-listing candidates for roles in the arts. I've been responsible for recruiting a number of roles in the past, most recently in the area of producing and production management. The number of applications I've received for some positions has been overwhelming, so I've found it essential to have a short-listing system and stick to it.


My approach to short-listing candidates begins with a review of all the cover letters, resumes and attachments. Ideally I like to print them off, but it's not always possible if there are a lot to review. Applications get sorted into three groups – Yes (on the short-list for interview), No and Maybe.

I estimate I only spend a minute or two reviewing an application first time around, scanning the letter and attachments, looking for links to the selection criteria. I then sort the applications into my three groups:

The No group includes applicants:

  • Who haven't supplied the requested documentation
  • That are obviously over or under qualified (unless they have a really convincing reason to be considered)
  • Who meet less than half of the stated selection criteria

The Maybe group includes applicants:

  • Who meet some of the selection criteria, but not all (or not the key ones)
  • Letters or resumes with several spelling mistakes or major grammatical errors
  • Who have resumes that are confusing or hard to read

The Yes group is pretty self explanatory, and includes applicants who meet the criteria, and who I want to look at more closely.

Once I've sorted out the applications, I go back to all three groups and review them briefly to make sure I am happy with where they are. Depending on the number of applications in the Yes group then there may be movement between the Yes and Maybes. I usually aim to interview no more than 5 people for a role. If getting down to the last 5 is difficult, then my last step is to rank each application according to the selection criteria. The most closely aligned to the selection criteria, then the higher the score. I then use these scores to decide who goes on to interview.

As this post reflects my own personal experience as a recruiter, I thought it would also be useful to get some independent advice on the matter. So, I asked experienced Human Resources Manager, Kylie Crane, for her top three tips for candidates to get short-listed:

  1. Creating a point of differentiation between yourself and other applicants is critical, particularly for roles that are popular and will attract a lot of interest. The best tip is to avoid using general statements such as how “passionate” you are in a position and “I’m organised and can work under pressure”. Anyone can say these! Read the position description carefully and identify how the position fits in with your experience and future career aspirations. Customise your application; you’d be amazed at just how many candidates don’t do this. In my experience I have found that so many job applications read the same. The applications that really stand out are the ones where applicants “speak” as individuals.
  1. Research the company! Share why you are interested in working for a particular company; reference relevant information you find on websites, or by talking to people you may know who work for the company. This can include your alignment to the company’s purpose, mission statement or its role in the community.
  1. Be concise. Application letters should only be 1-2 pages in length and a resume should be no longer than 3 pages. Ensure plenty of white space to make the content easier to read and for the short-lister to scan and identify your suitability for the role in less than one minute of reading. Remember, most people are time-poor and simply don’t have the time to read lengthy applications!

For more career advice, I recommend having a look at artshub for articles on employment in the arts, and Jim Bright's articles printed in the Saturday Melbourne Age for more generalist advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment